Welcome to the Site of the Russian Church in Geelong!
Preparations for Great Lent have begun, and therefore there are no fast days this week. This means that Wednesday 24th and Friday 26th February are not fast days.
Next Saturday in the church we will hear the touching, but formidable 136th psalm “On the rivers of Babylon.” We will sing this psalm for the next two Saturdays only. And next Sunday is already the Sunday of “the prodigal son.”
If you feel unwell, please stay at home and pray at home. As we can see, the virus is persistent, and after a two months respite, it sneaked into our state again.
Classes at our Parish Saturday School will begin on Saturday 6 March. Classes will start at 10:30 am. We will have classes on the Law of God, Russian language and the geography of Russia. All subjects are taught in Russian.
To enroll in the school, you need to contact Father Yaroslav 0405 847 152
The program in English (God’s Law and Russian for non-Russian speakers) will begin after Easter – 8 of May.
For any questions, please contact Father Yaroslav.
Donations to the Church.
Donations to our church can be made directly to:
Commonwealth Bank Russian Orthodox Church Abroad Geelong
BSB 063551 Account no 10508449
Catechism classes for adults
We are taking a little break with our catechism classes, and will resume them in March. We’ll make an announcement as soon as we’ll know the exact date.
A Brief History of the Parish
Russian Immigrants began to settle in the city of Geelong in 1948. From German camps, fearing repatriation to the Soviet Union, our forefathers set off for Australia and some of them made there way to our city. Their numbers were small but their faith was strong and it wasn’t long before they invited a priest to serve. The first service was served at the end of 1950 in an Anglican Church hall, with the official date of the establishment of the Parish being the 1st of April 1952.
In 1955 the Russian community in the city consisted of 35 families. There were also Orthodox from other nationalities – Greeks and Serbs. Within this small group of faithful there was a great desire to have their own church temple. Fundraising was begun for the building of a church and out of their meagre means people donated for the common goal each according to their means. In the beginning they purchased the land and very quickly built a shed in which were served Devine services and various fundraising events. Already in November 1955 the foundation stone for the new temple was layed and blessed. From their meagre funds, building materials were purchased and the parishioners, with their own hands, worked on their days off on the building of the church. The building works were completed in 1962. In timing with the completion of the church, a new wave of Australian immigration opened up from China. Many of these immigrants found themselves in Geelong. The new arrivals were delighted to have the opportunity to attend the church and to also have the use of the shed in which they established a school. Parish life thrived.
The church temple was consecrated in 1968. In 1979 the shed was removed and a hall and school were built. At the turn of the century problems were found with the roof of the church. In conjunction with the renovations of the roof a decision was made to renovate the interior of the church. A new iconostasis was erected and new frescos painted. The interior work isn’t complete: a few icons to complete the set of the 12 major Feasts, a new Table of Oblation, candle and icon stands still need to be commissioned.
Priests of our Parish
Protopriest Alexander Zhidko-Bazilevich (1896-1981). Father Alexander was the rector from the official establishment of the Parish in 1952 (he served regularly from 1951) until 1957.
Abbot Dimitri (Obuhov) (1906-1982). Rector from 1959 to 1962.
Protopresbyter Nicholas Ostyanko (1926-1986). Rector from 1962 to 1969.
Protopriest Vladimir Evsukov (1942-1980). Rector from 1969 to 1975.
Protopriest Michael Protopopov (1944-). Rector from 1976 to 1982.
Protopriest Alexander Morozow (1953-). Rector from 1982 to 1983.
Priest Oleg Smirnov (1937-). Rector from 1983-1984.
Protopriest Gabriel Makarov (1958-). Rector from 1984 to 1998.
Protopriest Simeon Kichakov (1950-2018). Rector from 1998 to 2017.
Protopriest Yaroslav Belikow (1962-). Rector from 2019 to present.
On Saturday 27 February at 6 pm – vigil.
Sunday 28 February at 8:30 am – Liturgy.